Frequently Asked Questions
What are dermal fillers?
Dermal fillers are made from a non-animal, biodegradable synthetic form of hyaluronic acid. Hyaluronic acid is a water loving, sugar chain molecule that naturally occurs in the skin. It delivers nutrients which helps the skin to retain moisture, softness and adds volume. This is injected into the desired treatable area to increase volume, definition and to restore a smoother appearance of the skin.
Will it hurt?
A topical anaesthetic cream is applied to all areas being injected and left on for an adequate time prior to your procedure starting. This should make your treatment more comfortable. Most filler also consist of a local anaesthetic gel, so it will minimise discomfort during the procedure.
Is there any paper work to fill out?
Yes, you will be required to fill out a form providing your personal details and next of kin, a medical questionnaire and a consent form. This explains all of the risks and information regarding your procedure and requires a signature to ensure you are happy to go ahead with your treatment.
Are there any age restrictions?
Yes, you must be over 18 years old. You must provide photographic identification to prove your age at your appointment, we will be unable to perform any treatments on patients who cannot provide this.
Will I bruise and swell?
Bruising and swelling of the area is completely normal. The initial swelling will take around 72 hours to subside and can take between 2-4 weeks to completely settle. Every patient is different, some swell immediately and some don’t swell at all. We advise not planning any major work or social events for at least 2-3 days post procedure.
When will I be able to see my result?
You will be able to see your result immediately, there will be slight swelling after any procedure. In most cases swelling will get worse before it gets better. On some occasions this can cause your initial result to look uneven. The full effect of your treatment will become apparent 2-4 weeks later.
Will I still look natural?
At Secret Enhancements, it is very important to us that we maintain your existing features with very natural enhancements. We only use high quality products which allow for a very smooth result.
Who cannot have treatment?
All of this will be discussed during your free consultation.
1. Anyone under the age of 18.
2. Anyone with cold sores on the day of treatment, or infection/skin conditions near injection site. (Please rebook).
3. Anyone with flu or cold- like symptoms on the day. (Please rebook)
4. Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding.
5. Anyone due to undergo surgery within 4 weeks of treatment.
6. Anyone with a history of anaphylactic shock or multiple severe allergies.
7. Anyone on skin medications such as Roaccutaine, Antasure or any other medication which affects the skins healing process or thins the skin.
8. Anyone suffering with haemophilia.
9. Anyone due to fly abroad within 3 days post treatment.
10. Anyone with an autoimmune disease.
11. Anyone with Lidocaine hypersensitivity.
12. Anyone that has been treated with dermal fillers in the past and shown sensitivity.
13. Anyone that is prone to keloid scarring.
14. Anyone taking Warfarin or any other blood thinning medication.
15. Anyone taking, Asprin, high does vitamin C or omega 3 oils. These will need to be stopped 1 week prior to your appointment, ONLY if it is not medically contraindicated. If it is then you should not book in for any procedure.
16. Anyone with permanent filler or implants alread in the treatment area.
17. Anyone who does not know the brand of filler they had injected previously if the treatment was not performed by us. This can cause a reaction if your previous filler was not of a HA base.
Are there any pre-treatment instructions I need to follow?
1. Do not consume alcohol 48 hours post procedure.
2. Anyone that is taking: Asprin, Ibuprofen, St. Johns Wort, omega 3 oils, Ginko Bilboa, Ginseng and high doses of Vitamin C and E. These will need to be stopped 1 week prior to your appointment, ONLY if it is not medically contraindicated. If it is then you should not book in for any procedure.
3. Eating pineapple the day before and on the morning of your procedure helps minimise bruising.
4. It is advised to take Arnica tablets 3 days before treatment to minimise bruising, but please read the label first to ensure they are suitable for you to take.
5. Avoid planning any major work or social events for at least 3 days post procedure, due to swelling.
Are there any post treatment instructions I need to follow?
1. Avoid touching or rubbing the injected area afterwards.
2. Avoid heat for 24 hours, this includes hot steamy showers and baths, sauna, steam room, washing your hair, sun etc.
3. No sun beds for at least 1 week.
4. Avoid exercise and heavy lifting for 24 hours.
5. Avoid smoking for 24 hours.
6. Avoid heavy alcohol consumption for 24 hours.
7. No product or make-up on the injected area for at least 6 hours afterwards.
8. We advise purchasing a new lip balm and cleaning make-up brushes before any application to reduce the risk of any infection to the injection sites.
9. Sleeping propped slightly upright will help to minimise swelling for the first few nights.
10. Applying an ice pack immediately post procedure and for 3 days afterwards will help minimise swelling.
11. Oral antihistamines will also aid swelling.
12. Arnica cream will help minimise bruising post procedure.
Make a Booking
Please visit our bookings page to contact us directly and make a booking.